Saturday, January 23, 2010

In time of need...



The smell of a slow baking home made chicken pot pie is intoxicating. This isn't the pot pie I made so can't take the credit for it, but as it goes most chicken pot pies look alike. Something about taking the time to make it is so rewarding, the effort you knead into the crust, the cutting for the filling, and the time to bake it. I wouldn't trade that for take out any day. I love spending the time in the kitchen, creating something out of very little, who would think that flour water and lard could create such a carrier for many flavours. With leftover pastry dough, I couldn't just stop there. I had to create a delicate dessert. I made baked apples smothered in cinnamon and sugar, encased in the pastry dough. The smells fuming from the kitchen right now are so aromatic, it's such a test to stay patiently waiting for a late arriving dinner. It will be oh so worth it though.
My title is, In time of Need.. well in our lives right now we don't have a lot, in fact we have very little, right now all we Need is each other. Keith and I have each other, and right now that's all we need and want. So the smell of homemade chicken pot pie is something that can make us forget all about life, and just focus on the simplicity of life and what we can make it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment